Sunday, August 27, 2017

The not so great eclipse!

We went, it thundered, it rained, it got dark, but we missed seeing the sun during totality.

My father and I left early, too early, but with all the warnings about traffic delays we felt it best to beat them crowds. We headed north and east to Muscotah Kansas, birth place of baseball legend Joe Tinker and possibly the worlds largest baseball! We met up with approximately 80 other members of the Kansas Explorers Club. Some brought their dogs, some played cards at the parks picnic tables, one young family ran behind their toddler son with a potty seat. My father read and I cross stitched, when I wasn't running back to the car as rain started. 

 

While we missed seeing the sun hidden behind the moon, it did get dark for a little over a minute and a half. 

The Muscotah Mercantile as darkness set in. They sold out of their sloppy joe special and made chicken salad, which I think they might have sold out of too. 

 

Looking west. 

 

Looking southwest. 

 

We broke through the clouds half way home, pulled over and used our eclipse glasses to view the eclipsed sun. It was pretty cool and worthy of all the excitement.

I'm bummed that I forgot to try my 3d eclipse viewers purchased through my local library. 

 


Luna moth at the park. 

 

Cicada killer with cicada. 

 

Pie slices available at the Mercantile. 

 



Might not have turned out as we and so many others had hoped, but it was great nonetheless. Only 7 more years till I can try again! 

 


No comments: