Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Refrigerator Pickles

These make me think of my grandma Noland. She passed in 1994, but if she were around now, I think she'd have enjoyed these.







These being refrigerator pickles. 








I made them several weeks ago and forgot to share that I had.  I've misplaced the recipe, but I believe this is the one I used.


Cucumber Salad


5 medium cucumbers, thinly sliced
1 large red onion, thinly sliced
1 large bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups white vinegar
1 Tbsp salt
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp celery seeds
1 tsp red pepper flakes


In a medium bowl or a half gallon mason jar, toss together cucumbers, onions, peppers and salt. Set aside.


Combine vinegar, sugar, mustard seed, celery seed and pepper flakes in a saucepan and bring to a boil.  Once at a bowl, remove from heat and add 2 handfuls of ice (about 1 cup).


Once ice has melted pour vinegar mixture over cucumbers.  Cover and store in refrigerator.  Will keep up to 2 months.


I made a double batch.  The mixture has gotten darker since sitting in the refrigerator.  I wouldn't know whether they're good as I don't care for these and made them for my father.  He says they're good, but he pretty much eats anything except for dill pickles, coconut and peanut butter cups (though he likes no bakes)!





 





No comments: