Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Black beans, rice, corn and chicken

My big upright freezer in the basement is FULL and I need to use stuff out of it. I got out a bag of frozen shredded rotisserie chicken thinking I'd make cranberry chicken salad, but kept thinking a chicken + black bean + corn dish sounded good. I didn't find what I wanted on Pinterest and decided to just throw things in a skillet and give it a try.


The dish began with a box of Zatarain's Black Beans and Rice.  I followed the directions given o the box. 






After cooking for 20 minutes, per box instructions, I added a can of drained (but not rinsed) black beans and 1 cup of frozen corn.  I kept the heat on low, covered and cooked for a few minutes until the corn had cooked. 






I debated leaving it alone at this point, but thought it was still lacking something.  I decided to throw in a can of drained rotel (it hadn't needed more liquid) and heated till cooked through. 









Its good, but I think if I were to make it again, I'd follow the same steps, but not add chicken. I think it would make a great meatless meal. 






Serve in tortillas or over a bed of lettuce. 



















No comments: