Sunday, September 4, 2016

Breakfast Casserole

Apple Market recently offered 18 ct large eggs for $0.69 and they're nearing their expiration date. I had planned to make egg muffins. Have you had them? They're very good, can be healthy, made ahead of time and reheated or frozen. To make you can use whole eggs, egg beaters, egg whites or a combination. They're baked in muffin tins. 

I was tired the morning I planned to make them and decided to make a breakfast casserole instead. The idea came from Simple Green Mom's Hillbilly Breakfast Bake. I had a bag of crispy crowns for several months now. I like tator tots, but not so much that I ever make them and it was good to use them. 


 

I threw them in a greased 9x13 pan frozen and topped them with the candian bacon I had planned to use in the egg muffins. 


Next I added cheese. 

 
 
When I'm making egg muffins, I get veggies off of the Dillons salad bar. This time I had bell peppers, spinach, broccoli and carrots. I diced them and added them to 12 beaten eggs. 

 

I baked it for ??? At 400 degrees. I wish I had kept better notes. It baked longer than I imagined it would need. 

 

 

 

A commenter on Simple Green Moms blog said her husband hated this dish as it had too much potato. I'd agree. I didn't hate it, but it was a lot of potato. Maybe had I used sausage instead or maybe next time 

No comments: