Monday, July 17, 2017

Green Beans and Potatoes

Some of my goods from Bates County Produce;

 

 

I also got ears of corn, green beans and a cantaloupe that I dropped getting it out of the car;

 

Oops! It quickly got chopped up. 

My brother and father helped me with some heavy lifting and moving the day after we had gone to Missouri and I served everyone lunch. I thawed BBQ brisket I had made and frozen at the end of April on Koehn rolls. 

 

I also served baked beans, pasta salad, sliced tomato, corn on the cob, green beans and potatoes and cucumber salad;

 

Cucumber salad is vinegar, water and sugar poured over cucumbers and onions. I didn't have an onion when I started this and added them the second day. Mix in a zip lock bag at least a day before serving and flip several times to coat all the cucumbers and onions. I don't eat this, but my father does. 

I had never made green bean and potatoes, but my coworker has several times lately and spoke so highly of them, I had to try. 

In a large Dutch oven, I browned 6 slices of bacon.

 

Remove and crumble the bacon. Set aside. 

Add 1 1/2 chicken stock. I only had chicken broth, so that's what I used. Stir in 1 tsp garlic salt. 

 

Add 2 lbs fresh green beans, ends snapped. Toss to coat. Cover and simmer 30 minutes. 

 

Uncover and sprinkle 1/2 tsp garlic salt over the green beans. Add 1 lb halved new/red potatoes. Dot with 2 Tbsp cubed butter and sprinkle 1/2 tsp garlic salt. 

 

Add 1 lb halved new/red potatoes. (You'll use 2 lbs new/red potatoes total.)

 

Cover and simmer 30 min. Serve topped with crumbled bacon strips. 

I was worried as the potatoes weren't covered with water. It took a little longer than 30 min, but everything was cooked perfectly. They were good and I'd make them again, but they weren't as flavorful as I was expecting. I'd like to make it the same way, but add more flavoring next time. I'll have to think about it some. For this recipe, visit 
She Wears Many Hats

 







No comments: