Thursday, June 29, 2017

Cheesy Ham and Potato Crock Pot Casserole!

Last weekend was beautiful in Northeast Kansas. Low humidity and temps in the upper 70's to the low 80's. Gorgeous!  I had Friday - Saturday off and many projects I had hoped to tackle. I decided to fix my work week's main meal on Saturday as I hadn't yet known what my plans would look like on Sunday. Yes, I cook once and eat it 3-5 times that week. Four is about my limit. If the dish/meal makes more than 4 servings, I send it home to my father. 

So, I made cheesy ham and potatoe casserole and peach cobbler, both in the crock pot. I'm sharing the casserole today and will share the cobbler soon. The casserole is from another blog. I'm not linking it here as twice I got a pop up saying I'd won this or that and had to shut down to get the window to disappear. I hate those! 

Cheesy Ham and Potato Casserole in a Crock Pot!

You're going to need;

1 lb cubed ham, left over works good or you can buy it already cubed at the store
32 oz cubed hash browns (I only could find 26 oz bags) 
1 can cream of chicken soup
8 oz sour cream 
1/2 c melted butter*
1 medium onion, diced**
1 tsp Cajun seasoning***
1/2 tsp garlic powder***
1/2 tsp black pepper***
2 cups shredded cheese (1 cup reserved)

This is the ham I used. 

 

*I opted to use less butter and used 2 small pieces I had left in the fridge. I think next time I wouldn't use any butter. 

 

**I skip chopping onion and used a bag of hash browns with onions and peppers. 

 

***I didn't have any Cajun seasoning and decided to just use all-purpose no sodium seasoning in place of all the listed seasonings.  I used a heaping 1/2 tsp of it. I think it would be fine if you didn't use any seasoning, but that might just be my preference. 

 

Mix all but the shredded cheese together in a large bowl.  Pour into a crockpot. I line mine with a crock pot bag, but you could lightly spray with oil instead. 

 

Top with 1 cup shredded cheese. 

 

Cook on low for 3-4 hours, potatoes should be creamy. My crock pot runs hot and it was done in 2 1/2 hours. The recipe called for you to top the finished dish with the remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese. Next time I would stir in 1 cup of cheese before transferring to the crock pot and top at the end with the remaining one cup. 

 

This was really good and I'll make it again! 

No comments: