Monday, February 13, 2017

Soup and Cake, it's what's for dinner!

I had four over for dinner recently. Three were from the church I've been attending and the fourth a friend I've known for sometime. I am a nervous, inexperienced hostess and wanted something easy for dinner.  I went with Six Sister's 7 Can Chicken Tortilla Soup. I've made this before and thought I had already shared it, but I couldn't find the post. The first I made it was when I had a coworker over after work for dinner. I needed something fast as she had a long drive home and wasn't planning on staying late. This was a breeze to throw together and have ready quick. 


I doubleD the recipe for the most recent dinner and was glad I had. I have some left over, but would have run out had I not doubled it. 

In a stock pot combine; 

1 can drained and rinsed black beans
1 can drained and rinsed pinto beans
1 can drained tomatoes
1 can drained corn
1 large can chicken (may sub other cooked chicken)
1 can green enchilada sauce
1 can chicken broth 

Add;

1 pkt taco seasoning
1 tsp each of; cumin, garlic powder and chili seasoning 
1/4 tsp black pepper (I omitted)

I didn't have two cans of green enchilada sauce, so I did one green and one red this time as I doubled the recipe. It was fine.  I thought it too dry and added a third can of chicken broth. 

 

I served it with freshly shredded cheese (not pictured), sour cream, corn tortilla strips and Fritos. 

 

These were the chip bowls afterwards. I think most added the Fritos. Several went back for seconds. I plan on having others from church over to dinner again in the near future and I might just make this again. 

For dessert I made Cherry Chocolate Chip Cake. I had wanted something Valentine-ish. 


No, we didn't eat this much! I sent slices home with everyone. This picture is just to show you the inside. 

 
  
It was good. I worried it might be too chocolatey for me, but actually you don't taste the chocolate as much as you taste the cherries. 

You can get the Cherry Chocolate Chip Cake recipe 
HERE
And the entire soup recipe 
HERE

No comments: