Friday, October 28, 2016

Hot and Cheesy Chicken Casserole

I made the best dish for Cookbook Club. The recipe is from The Potluck Cookbook, which I picked up at God's Storehouse (thrift store) in Topeka for $1.50! I love this cookbook and have several recipes I'm wanting to try out of it soon. 

 

I worked Cookbook Club Friday, but this was a breeze to throw together and wash up the few dishes before everyone arrived.  I cheated a lot. First I used canned chicken. 

 

I could tell it was canned chicken while eating it, but I like canned chicken, so it wasn't a bother. 

I also used already cooked rice! 

 

This was so easy! 


Chicken. (Poor pic, I was working by afternoon light.)

 

Broccoli, rice and peas. 

 

Two soups, Rotel and some cheese. 

 

Crackers and more cheese. 

 

Finished! Recipe is below. Of note, I didn't add the crushed red pepper flakes and it still had a kick to it. If you or those you're serving this to don't care for a kick, I'd substitute diced tomatoes for the Rotel and cheddar cheese soup for the fiesta nacho cheese soup. 

We were missing one member of the group, but had a great dinner of my casserole, cornbread casserole and Boston creme pie, which is actually a cake!  The meal was great with all going back for seconds of both casseroles! 


 

Next months Cookbook Club has a theme! Slow Cookers! So we're all to make a new to us slow cooker recipe from a cookbook! 

Here's the recipe for this months contribution. 

Hot and Cheesy Chicken Casserole

3 cups chopped cooked chicken (I used canned chicken)

1 14oz pkg frozen broccoli florets

2 cups cooked rice (I used Ready Rice by Uncle Bens) 

1 1/2 cups frozen peas

1 can cream of chicken soup

1 can fiesta nacho cheese soup

1 10oz can Rotel

1/2 cup milk

1/2 tsp crushed red pepper (optional, I didn't use)

1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

1 cup crushed rich round crackers (Ritz, I used one sleeve, didn't measure it) 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place chicken in a 3 quart rectangular casserole dish. In a large bowl combine broccoli, rice and peas. (My notes; Vegetables are frozen. Rice can be cold.) Spread mixture over chicken. 

In a bowl combine the soups, undrained Rotel, milk and if desired, crushed red pepper. Stir in half of the cheddar cheese and half of the mozzarella cheese. Pour mixture over broccoli mixture in baking dish. Sprinkle crushed crackers evenly over all. Top with the remaining cheese. 

Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until topping is golden. 

Makes 8-10 servings. 

Recipe from The Potluck Cookbook. Cookbook note reads; Here's what every mom is looking for - nearly every food group in one quick-fix dish. To complete the food pyramid, serve this colorful casserole with a spinach-orange salad. 

 

 

No comments: