Friday, September 9, 2016

Doing Laundry

For the first since moving out of my parent’s house, I have a washer and dryer!  Even better they’re on the main floor, the same floor my bedroom is on.  No more lugging laundry up and down a flight of stairs to/from the laundry mat in all kinds of weather.  No more having to check the machines for disgusting stuff from the previous user, making certain you have enough money and remembered to bring the laundry detergent.  Having your own washer and dryer is a luxury that should be appreciated.  While I’m so very happy to have my own washer and dryer, its taking some time to get used to it.  Some examples;

 

Nearly every load I have to stop the dryer immediately after starting and remove the lint from the previous load.  You don’t deal with the lint traps at the laundry mat and I forget to remove the lint before or after nearly every load I’ve washed!  

 

There is no reason to wash 4-6 loads at once and it takes a lot longer to do multiple loads at home than it did at the laundry mat! One washer, one dryer, not 4 washers and 4 dryers!  A recent Saturday morning I was cleaning, cooking and doing laundry.  It was a lot to do and I realized I hadn’t need to.  I could have done a load or two every couple of days and not had a bunch of laundry to do all at once as I did when washing clothes at the laundry mat.  

 

My washer is a top loader.  I like to start the washer, add detergent, let it fill up some and then add my clothes.  The washers at the laundry mat were front loaders and that wasn’t an option.  The other evening I started a load, added detergent and walked away.  50 min later I returned to move the load to the dryer and there wasn’t a load!  Just a tub full of sudsy water!  Oops!  This has happened several times. Sigh. 

 

Who knew I’d have to learn how to do laundry all over again!  

No comments: