Sunday, August 28, 2016

Chicken Enchilada Casserole

You've all heard of and/or make crock pot salsa chicken, right? It couldn't be easier. Place 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the bottom of a crock pot. Sprinkle taco seasoning over the chicken (to your taste, you can skip this step). Cover with salsa. Cook for 4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low. Shred. You can use frozen chicken breasts, but will need to cook longer. You can also throw in sliced onions and peppers or canned/frozen corn or black beans. If you've never made this, you've got to try it out. It's great in Mexican dishes, salads and I'm sure would be great in soups. Oh and it freezes well! Freeze with a little bit of the liquid to keep it from being dry when thawed. 

I had a package of frozen crock pot salsa chicken sitting in the freezer and used it to make Chicken Enchilada Casserole. I adapted my dish from this recipe on Kirchner Family Favorites blog. 

Since my salsa chicken was made with chunky salsa, I skipped adding onions. I began by heating black beans, Rotel, mexicorn and enchilada sauce. I added a couple tablespoons of Williams chili seasoning and didn't add the cumin. 

 

Once the sauce was heated, I layered it with corn tortillas, chicken and cheese in a 9x13 and heated in a 350 degree oven until bubbly. 

 

 

 

Doesn't that salsa chicken look yummy???

 

I love cheese, but I only used 2 cups. The recipe calls for 3. 

 

Fresh from the oven;

 

It was SO good and I'll be making this again! 

This is only the second thing I've made in my new to me gas oven. The first being a Stouffer's enchilada dish. This was so much better than Stouffer's! 

 

I also made sour cream chicken enchiladas. They were okay, but not something I'd make again. I love sour cream enchiladas at On the Border and Taco Bueno and I was hoping this recipe would be similar to those dishes. It wasn't. I used a rotisserie chicken from Sam's Club, but I doubt that was what was off with the dish. Win some, lose some. 

 

I kept some of each dish out for meals this week and froze the rest. 

No comments: