Monday, January 2, 2023

Feral Cat Shelters

Several weeks ago, I found three large styrofoam igloos at a thrift store and decided to make them into feral cat shelters. I gave those three to my father and his porch cats have loved them. The igloos are used to ship refrigerated RX and I’ve checked with thirteen local pharmacies and only one has gotten in touch with me and they gave me three more igloos. 
*I tried a half dozen times to get these photos in the correct order and wasn’t able to. 


If you can get your hand on the igloos, they’re very easy to construct. You’ll need a 6” opening. I did a circle (traced a flower pot) on the first one, but have been cutting squares on the rest. I like to line the edges with tape to secure the styrofoam  I used Gorilla Glue masking tape  



 Line the igloo with ~2” of straw. Of note, the lid is larger than the bottom, so I made the lid the bottom. 



Tape the lid down and then run tape around the entire igloo at least once. 



Cover the igloo with a thick plastic trash bag. I used Husky industrial bags and some blue bags I had on hand for the largest igloo. Tape the bag closed as if wrapping a gift. 


Cut the hole for the opening and tape the edges of the plastic inside the igloo. Sit outside, out of the wind.  Once cats are familiar with the shelter, you can drape something over the opening as a flap. Do not put cloth items in the shelter, straw only.  Cats paws can freeze to cloth items in really cold temperatures. 

Hopefully another pharmacy will reach out to me with igloos so I can continue to make them for cats in need  



 

No comments: