Friday, February 2, 2018

Cheese Enchiladas

Last month while making a pantry/freezer inventory list I wrote down the items that needed to be used sooner than later. Lemon pie filling, Alfredo sauce and a fruit crisp mix were on that list. All those items have been used. An enchilada seasoning packet remained. I found a recipe calling for one in the Fairbury NE D.A.R.E. cookbook and decided to give it a try. I made these for my father and never tried them, but he says they're excellent. 

 

To make brown a lb of ground beef. Add hot water, the seasoning packet and a can of tomato paste. 

 

The tomato paste looked like a tornado mold. 

 

Stir in shredded cheese and let simmer. 

 

Meanwhile, wrap sliced of cheese in tortillas. I used corn. 

 

Folks, that is a lot of cheese! 

 

Lay the rolled cheese tortillas in a greased 9x13 and pour meat mixture over the top. Bake.

 

Cheese Enchiladas

1 1/2 lb ground beef (I used 1 lb)
6oz tomato paste
1 12oz pkg block co-jack cheese (I used what I had in hand)
1 8oz pkg co-jack shredded cheese 
1 pkg enchilada seasoning 
1 1/2 c hot water
10 flour shells (I used corn)

Brown hamburger and drain. Add seasoning mix, tomato paste, water and half of the shredded cheese. Simmer 10 to 15 min. Slice block cheese into 10 slices (mine were cut in pieces as I used a rounded block) and wrap 1 slice in each of the flour shells; place seam down in a greased 9x13 pan. Pour meat mixture over flour shells. Sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes and then go wrestle the cat out of the sock drawer; 

 


No comments: