Monday, September 25, 2017

The return of Cookbook Club!

The fourth Friday in September marks the return of Cookbook Club and its supposed to be cool. It wasn't. I had guests coming over the next day and had wanted something easy and that didn't require I turn the oven on. I found the recipe in the Gooseberry Patch Church Potluck Favorites Cookbook.


 



I wasn't certain how many were going to come and had wanted a recipe that served 8 or more. This dish will reportedly serve 16. I actually thought it sounded gross and asked coworkers what they thought of it. Those asked thought it sounded great and that they'd eat it. So, I ignored my concerns and went with the recipe for Hot Chicken Sandwiches.
 

I used a rotisserie chicken from Sam's Club for the meat. If you have a Sam's membership, their chicken is something you should be buying. $4.98 is a dollar or more less than you pay at Walmart or Dillons for their rotisserie chickens and the Sam's chicken is much bigger and better tasting.  Once you've compared a Sam's chicken to say one you get at Dillons, you'll never go back.  



One of the reasons I picked this recipe was that it couldn't have been easier to make. Shred chicken, throw in 1 1/2 cups cubed Velveeta cheese (I prefer store brand, seems less salty to me).


 



Stir in one can of cream of chicken soup and one can cream of mushroom soup. I hate mushrooms and normally I'd substitute the cream of mushroom for cream of chicken. Recently I went to some friends for dinner and ate stroganoff. It was really good even though it had cream of mushroom soup and canned mushrooms! Since then I've decided to not substitute cream of mushroom in future recipes, especially recipes where there's already one can of cream of chicken.


 



Now throw in some chopped onion and celery. I used a red onion. The recipe hadn't specified and I had a half red onion needing to be used.


 



Stir and transfer to a greased or lined crockpot and cook on low 3 1/2 hours. My crockpot runs on the hot side and I turned it to warm after 2 hours and 20 minutes.


 



Serve on slider buns, I used regular hamburger buns. 



We also had quinoa stuffed peppers, savory rice and pop overs. I'll try to remember better pictures next month!


Hot Chicken Sandwiches
Serves 16 (if using slider buns)


6 c. shredded chicken (I used rotisserie chicken)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 1/2 c Velveeta
1 c. thinly sliced celery
1 c. chopped onion


Stir all the ingredients and add to a lined or greased crock pot and heat on low for 3 1/2 hours. My crock pot runs hot and I turned it to keep warm after 2 1/2 hours.  Serve on slider or hamburger buns. 

 





No comments: