Sunday, March 12, 2017

Enchilada Casserole

I'd invited two couples and a friend to dinner and couldn't decide what to serve. Option #1 was enchilada casserole, option #2 Sue's cheesy beef enchiladas and option #3 was a creamy baked ziti recipe that sounded good. I had settled on option #3 till I learned that one of my guests was gluten intolerant. I thought that option #1 would work, but it had been years since I had made it and I wanted to give it a try first. I made it the Sunday before my guests were to come on Friday and ate it for lunches all week. 

The recipe comes the Topeka Capital Journal newspaper and was published in or before 2010. I made it and took it to my brothers shortly after my now 16 year old nephew was born. I no longer have that paper copy, but it's really easy to make and I hadn't needed it. 

Start by browning one pound of ground beef. Of note, though I believe the original recipe only called for one pound, for company I'd use two pounds. Drain. Season ground beef with taco seasoning. I use Williams Chili Seasoning. Mix with one small can of peas and carrots, drained and one can diced potatoes, drained. 

 

I picked up the wrong can and had to dice my potatoes. 


Dip six corn tortillas into enchilada sauce and layer on the bottom of a 9x13 casserole. 


Layer with half the ground beef and shredded cheese. 


This first layer was kind of skimpy, which is why next time I'd make it with 2 lbs of hamburger.  


 

Repeat layers; 6 dipped corn tortillas, ground beef mixture and shredded cheese. The second layer of meat mixture wasn't as skimpy. 

 

Ending with another layer of 6 dipped tortillas.   (18 total corn tortillas used.)

 

Pour any remaining enchilada sauce over the top and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. You could sprinkle more cheese on top the last five minutes of baking if you wish. 

I ended up using two cans of enchilada sauce. One regular size and one large can. 

 

It's really good and a breeze to make, but almost too spicy for my liking. I'm a weakling though when it comes to heat. 
 
 
 

No comments: