Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Mexican Grits Casserole

It's almost time for the February Cookbook Club and I haven't posted about January's. We didn't have Cookbook Club in December. One person was out sick, another visiting out of town relatives and the weather forecast was iffy. I decided last minute to cancel it. 

 

For January we had a theme; Church Cookbook. I only had two church cookbooks. The one on the left was probably one I picked up at a garage sale. The one on the right is my grandmothers cookbook from the church she attend most of her life; Byers Avenue United Methodist Church, Joplin, MO. In it are three recipes from my grandmother Alberta "Bert" Flaxbeard. One for Caramel Dumplings (Rich). I never knew her to make these. The second recipe is for Sugar Cookies (The Best) and they are! King refiners include sour cream and nutmeg and are so soft! They never harden. The third recipe is for Mexican Grits Casserole. I knew grandma to make this, but never had it myself. It wasn't something my mother would eat, therefor grandma wouldn't have made it when we visited.  I decided to make this recipe in memory of grandma. 

I had never before bought, made or eaten grits. 

Mexican Grits Casserole

3/4 c white grits
3 c water
1 small can cream corn (I just used 2/3 of a large can)
1 chopped onion (I omitted) 
1 lb ground beef
1 can chili beef soup (I couldn't find this, so sub a can of chili w/out beans)
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp whole cumin (I just added extra ground)
1 tsp ground cumin 
Garlic salt
Grated cheese

Cook grits according to package instructions. As soon as thick, add cream style corn. (I removed from heat and then added corn.) Sauté one chopped onion until limp. Add one lb ground beef and brown. Remove all fat possible. Add one can chill beef soup, chili powder, both cumins and a shake or two of garlic salt. Simmer 10 to 15 minutes. Place half the grits into a buttered casserole. Cover with meat mixture and top with remaining grits mixture. Bake in 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes. Sprinkle grated cheese over casserole and bake until cheese melts. 

Grandma added; This is a great dish to serve with a salad, crusty bread, fruit and steaming coffee. 

 

I wasn't impressed. It was sloppy. Might have been better to serve in a bowl than on a plate. Everyone else said it was good and Jenna, who took it home, said it had a better, thicker consistency the next day. Her family enjoyed it. 

Other contributions to cookbook club were;

 

Delicious Rice Dish. It had both sausage and chicken and was really good!

 

Cranberry Salad Supreme!

 

Lemon Meringue Pie! This was bought by a new member and I think after this dessert, her place in the group is secure! It was SO good! 

 

Lyncoln had to have a chair. He sat there all evening and kindly didn't ask to get up on the table. 

No comments: