Saturday, February 25, 2017

A birthday celebration

February 20th was my mother's birthday and I had my parents over for dinner. My mother's favorite dessert is a chocolate cream pie and I decided to try and make one. 

 

I have in this picture the Cookies and Cups cookbook I borrowed from the library, a Fannie Farmer Baking cookbook and my late grandma's Joy of Cooking cookbook. I decided to go with the recipe in the Cookies and Cups cookbook. 


Chopping chocolate was harder than I expected! 


I nailed the egg yolks! 


I loved this chocolate! It was so good, but it was not something I thought my mother would like. It had a true chocolate flavor and my mother prefers milk chocolate. So, I made another pie.  
 
 

Pie number two was made in a store bought graham cracker crust (pie number one in a store bought baked crust). It was made with cocoa powder and sweetened condensed milk. It was sweeter and milder. 

 

I topped the first pie with cream made from heavy cream and powdered sugar. It was okay, but I didn't know if my mother would like it. I topped the second pie with cool whip, which I knew she'd like. My father and I like the chocolate best in the first pie, my mother likes the second pie better, but neither as much as the chocolate cream pie for sale at Cooks American Grill. Theirs is good and if chocolate isn't your thing, I'd recommend their banana cream or pumpkin pie! 

 

Dinner was a bowl of chicken and noodles over mashed potatoes. 

 

Yum! It had been a while since any of us had had chicken (or turkey) and noodles. They hit the spot! 
 

No comments: